Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fear Not

These past few weeks have been crazy. School has been busy and the busiest of all was working on the paper work for me to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The work has paid off. I get to open my call hopefully this week. There have been a lot of struggles going through this process.
First off, there is always opposition. Whether it be for a good choice or a bad choice, there will always be opposition. Knowing that there is opposition is a tool we can use to guide us in what we do. Knowing Good and Evil will help us know how we can choose. I have learned about this in greater depth this past month or so. There have been days where I haven't been able to truly study my scriptures. I would always read them, at least a verse, but to truly study them is completely different. The sad thing is, is I had time to study. I chose not to. Doing this opened a tear in my spiritual shield. Satan took advantage of this very quickly. Days that I didn't STUDY my scriptures, I had thought of doubt about serving a mission. These thoughts included, "You don't know the scriptures enough to teach the gospel." "The gospel is so complicated that you only know the basics, there is no way anyone will listen to you." "A mission is going to be way too hard for you to go." As I was having these thoughts it was remarkable how quickly the spirit would tell me to read or pray. Then thoughts of peace and encouragement came into my head. Like I said there is always opposition. The spirit is always there to guide people in times of sorrow, or discouragement. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear but of Power." (2 Tim 1:7).
Second, it takes a lot of effort to prepare physically and emotionally. Preparing physically requires doctors appointments, and dentist appointments, with Bishop and Stake President interviews. Planning is a big part of the process. Setting my availability date was a struggle because my dad is getting married in the summer. I really wanted to be there for that. It's hard when things are taking longer than you wanted them to, especially doctors and dentist appointments. I was also encouraged to align my schedule similar to a missionaries schedule. Such as arise early, kneel and pray every morning and evening, and go to bed early. This schedule can be kind of difficult, since I am in college. I have class start at 8 am most days so getting up somewhat early isn't that difficult. It is hard however for me to get up at 6:30 consistently. I usually wake up around 7:30. Going to bed however, is a different story. Homework takes up a lot of time. I usually am up doing homework until at least midnight. Some nights even later. I have a lot of work do to prepare physically. Emotional preparation is also very difficult. The way I have found that has help me the most is to not think of my needs but of others. When ever I am feeling stressed about my mission, serving someone always helps. Doing my roommates dishes is a great stress reliever. Emotionally I need to be spiritually strong. I need my prayers to be completely sincere. Reading my scriptures need to fill my spiritual well not just quench my thirst for 5 min. I need to constantly be watching for Satan's temptations or I will fall into his traps. It can be saddening to realize that I won't be spending time with my family for a year and a half once I am gone. It has been a blessing however when I do spend time with them I get to spend quality time with them. I try to get to know my siblings on a deeper level than I knew before. Going to college and living on my own has helped with my emotional preparation. Learning to talk to people, buying groceries, doing laundry, cleaning up after myself, has really alleviated to stress of the unknown.
The best thing that has happened, it listening to General Conference. The talks given by general authorities truly gave me so much strength to get through this last month of school. I can be ready to go face the world with all I have and show them the light of Christ and how it can bless and give peace to our lives. I am so excited to serve a mission and can't wait to know where the Lord has called me to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment